By Eve W. Engle

The dogs rule in our house. They are fed first, allowed in our bed, have their own bed in the guest room and sneak up onto the sofas when we aren't looking. Maxie, short for Maximus, is a Golden Retriever/Great Pyrenes mix, Sammy is a Black Lab/Border Collie mix. His full name is Samuel L. Jackson after one of my favorite actors. Both were abused and rescued from their former owners. They get cookies every morning.







Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Divided House

We live in a divided house. My car sports a front tag that proves it.

You see I am a double graduate of the University of Alabama (BFA,MLIS). My father was a professor emeritis there, my mother is a triple grad from Bama (BFA,MFA, and EdD), my grandfather played football there, was a member of Skull and Bones there, and received his Law degree from Bama. My first husband and I met there while we were students. His twin brother is also a graduate. The "Bear" was the Athletic Director and Head Football coach during my entire childhood. My blood is definitely crimson.

But back in 1999 I set in motion the great "transformation". I had the audacity to take a job in Auburn, Alabama and move my three sons there. THEN two years later my ex-husband's sister decided she would also move here and finally finish her degree. Can you figure out where this tale is going?  It was I who is to blame!!!! Muuuhahahahaha! As a result all three sons have chosen to go to Auburn for undergraduate school (or at least started there since Little Boy decided to withdraw and enlist in the Navy). In fact Eldest Son graduated at the same time his auntie finished and they both walked the stage during the same commencement.

Now it gets a little more complicated. Eldest Son then turned around and went to Bama for graduate school. So that would make him the "Divided Man" in the "Divided House".

If you follow SEC college football then you know the "Iron Bowl" takes place right after Thanksgiving. That is the nick name we Alabamians coined for the annual meeting of the University of Alabama's Crimson Tide Elephants and the Auburn University War Eagle Tigers. Well that's not really what they call themselves, at least not the "Tide". Big Al the elephant is the mascot but they haven't ever called themselves "Elephants" the way Auburn says "Tigers". When these two teams meet anything goes. The team with the most wins leading to the Iron Bowl may not leave with the winning score that day.

So, what's a mom to do in a house full of Tiger fans on the day of the big game? COOK! And basically keep her mouth shut about whom she supports. Just for fun I thought about a menu for the big day. If we were a family who actually had our own tailgate party then this is what I would serve:

Bama Menu                                  
For an appetizer: Red and White Corn Chips with Sagan Salsa
Elephant Burgers (supersized beef, bison, or venison burgers)
Roll Tide Rolls (supersized for the hamburgers)
Bama Baked Beans with brown sugar and bacon
Crimson Tide Punch (a red fruit juice based punch, spiked)
Bama's Best Banana Pudding

Auburn Menu
For an appetizer: Blue and Cheddar Chips with Chizik Cheese Dip
Tiger Tails (Polish sausages- grilled)
Orange and Blue salad (fruit salad)
War Eagle Punch (orange juice and Grenadine, spiked)
Plainsman Pie (peanut butter)

Sound good? Well, my family better not get their hopes up. The problem with all this is that the Iron Bowl is traditionally the day after Thanksgiving. So after spending all day in the kitchen the day before, the best you can hope for me to cook for the Iron Bowl is a turkey sandwich with some leftover pumpkin pie!

Roll Tide, Roll! War Eagle, Hey!

No comments:

Post a Comment