By Eve W. Engle

The dogs rule in our house. They are fed first, allowed in our bed, have their own bed in the guest room and sneak up onto the sofas when we aren't looking. Maxie, short for Maximus, is a Golden Retriever/Great Pyrenes mix, Sammy is a Black Lab/Border Collie mix. His full name is Samuel L. Jackson after one of my favorite actors. Both were abused and rescued from their former owners. They get cookies every morning.







Monday, January 3, 2022

 One last post. My devoted Sam will cross over the Rainbow Bridge today to meet his brother Max. He is 14 years old this month. I needed to post this for closure. Max came to live with me at a time when I needed him badly. Sam came shortly after. That was October and December of 2008. Both had been neglected and abused. They helped heal one another's internal wounds better than I ever could have. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss Maxie. He was the gentlest of souls. But Sam was my black shadow. He followed me everywhere. If I moved, he would watch. If I left the room, he would follow.

Now it's time to say goodbye. The last year has been tough on him. My little Catahoula, Ada Mae, has been his companion, but she has also been his irritant. She will miss him almost as much as I will. Sammy will be in a better place, romping with Max. I choose to believe that. Someday I will have the courage to spread their ashes together.

Goodbye my protector. I love you with my whole heart.

There are no more cookies in the cookie jar.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment