By Eve W. Engle

The dogs rule in our house. They are fed first, allowed in our bed, have their own bed in the guest room and sneak up onto the sofas when we aren't looking. Maxie, short for Maximus, is a Golden Retriever/Great Pyrenes mix, Sammy is a Black Lab/Border Collie mix. His full name is Samuel L. Jackson after one of my favorite actors. Both were abused and rescued from their former owners. They get cookies every morning.







Friday, November 5, 2010

Dog bowls and guacamole

A while back our local animal control officer was handing out goody bags at the public library where I work. Being the uber dog person I am I snatched one up for my puppies at home, Maxie and Sammy. Inside were the usual coupons, a couple free doggie biscuits (we call them "cookies" - hence the name of this blog), a collar (waaaayyy too small for my big boys) and leash, and a shiny stainless steel dog bowl. The leash we kept, the buscuits were eaten in one bite, and the coupons eventually were used or discarded. The dog bowl at first seemed like the perfect water bowl to replace my good Revere Ware mixing bowl which had been holding the water for a while. Unfortunately Maxie has the jowls of the water fowl hunting dog that he is and drinking from a shallow sided bowl is a disaster. The new bowl lasted about 48 hours and we were back to my good Revere Ware. So, what to do with the new bowl?

We didn't need it for dog food since both the boys had a bowl already. Since it is shaped like the typical dog bowl with a small lip it isn't that easy to use it as a mixing bowl but I placed it on the shelf with the others and forgot about it.

Fast forward . . .

Since my husband has recently endured a jaw operation he has been unable to eat solid foods. After a week of soups for the poor steak and potatoes guy he was desperate to try something with a little substance, even though it still has to be liquid based. He's a Florida guy and loves avocadoes so I bought a couple and made a batch of guacamole in the blender. Finally it was ready to be poured into something. Looking around I realized most of my everyday bowls were already in use. I opened another cabinet and there in front of me was the dog bowl. Perfect! Not only was it the right size it keeps the "guac" cool since it's stainless and it has low sides so it was easy for me to dip my bagels in. The husband used a spoon.

So now I am officially declaring it my "guacamole" dog bowl!

Priceless.

D.J.'s Guacamole

2 large ripe avocadoes, peeled and chopped
1 small onion finely minced or scraped on a grater for the juice
1 ripe tomato finely chopped
2 small garlic cloves pressed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and place in a blender untill completely pureed. Serve with mini bagels or bagel chips, pita bread or tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment